Archives for research and local study
BLHG hold a collection of documents, pictures and artifacts collected and donated to us over the years. Members are welcome to make an appointment to view the archives for research and local study. Please contact us with your preferred dates and times.
- ALEHOUSES, TAVERNS and COACHING INNS Information on over a dozen licensed premises. Barkway was on an important coaching route from London to Cambridge. There was also a village brewery.
- BARKWAY HOARDS Information on both the Roman temple hoard in the British Museum, and the Bronze Age hoard from 1991.
- BARKWAY SOCIETY MAGAZINES A few copies of these.
- BUILDINGS Photographs from 1960 of all 65 listed Barkway buildings and some unlisted.
- CHURCH AND CHAPEL
- CHURCH BELLS Various records of historical events associated with the bells. Also the logbook covering ringing events from 1987. Newspaper articles concerned with Charlie Bysouth.
- COUNTY HISTORIES Chauncy 1700, Salmon 1728, Clutterbuck 1820, Cussans 1870, and Victoria County History 1900. Also a donated copy of Cussans history for Edwinstree hundred 1st edition.
- DIARY ARTICLES A collection of articles submitted to the Parish Diary on local history.
- DIMSDALE FAMILY A collection of military memorabilia donated from Major Dimsdale. Written records of Robert Dimsdale.
- ELECTORAL REGISTERS Covering many dates between 1920 and 2001
- FIRE MARKS Display mount board with description of 3 remaining Barkway firemarks. 1800 Half Moon alehouse firemark from circa 1820, and original issue of Berg Cottage one.
- GENEALOGY Family trees of some old village families
- HALH INDEX Hertfordshire Association of Local History group publications – twice annually.
- HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY A programme of events from the 1930 local society meeting.
- J C BUCKLER DRAWINGS
- MANOR FARM Written report carried out for the Blounts on the history of the house.
- MAPS Many maps kept. Both Ordnance from 1st edition onwards, as well as estate maps of Newsells 1750, Rushingwells 1723, and Cokenach 1720.
- MILESTONES Photographs of all 16 historic Trinity Hall funded 18th century milestones, plus write ups on construction.
- MISCELLANEOUS Collection of articles on Barkway from magazines.
- MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS Barkway churchyard and Chapel graveyard – all graves recorded and numbered on maps. Complete index by name. Recorded by Royston Family History Group 1989
- NEWSELLS Much historic information, including Sir Humphrey de Trafford's notes made on his acquisition of the estate in 1926.
- ORAL HISTORY 25 recordings and transcriptions of interviews of old Barkway residents, mostly born in the village, taken in the 1990s and 2000s. A copy was given to the County Record Office
- PARISH NEWS Items from old diaries submitted by T Doig on village history 100 years ago.
- PHOTOGRAPHS Over 250 old photographs of Barkway
- Rev. BARGUS DIARY Vicar of Barkway 1798 – 1809. Conducted his own census of Barkway and Reed in 1801, listing all residents by name and occupation. Copy made and indexed by name.