Guided archaeological dig in Barkway
With the kind permission of Nicholas and Meriel Tufton, we dug two test pits in their grounds opposite the Red House. In a map of 1780 the plot had a row of cottages extending along the roadside, and forming a “T” shape. In the enclosure map of 1808 gaps had appeared, as properties were demolished or fell down. Prior to commencing the dig an auger was employed to check whether old foundations could be located, and were quickly successful in hitting solid material about 20 cm down. That decided the position for the first test pit. The rear boundary of the plot had not changed since 1780, and so we decided to sink a second pit at the rear where middens or cesspit may have been sited. So on the morning of a hot day, we commenced work. Our party was led by professional archaeologists James Danter, and his wife Shannon who was also the finds expert. Part of her contribution also included accurate measuring and photographing.