The Barkway Roman Hoard
A hoard of Roman articles were found by a worker digging in a quarry in 1743 about 300 metres to the north east of Periwinkle Hill.
The items clearly originated in a temple or shrine for though of modest size they combine both votive and ceremonial objects. The hoard consists of 7 votive silver plaques together with the handle from a priest's rattle. The remaining object is a fine figurine. The dedication is to Mars. The contents of the hoard appear to have been restricted to the most valued components of a much larger assemblage of votive material.
An image of Mars appears on the figurine and 4 of the plaques. The hoard was passed to the then owner of the quarry, Lord Selsey of Newsells, who later presented it to the British Museum. The hoard represents the only discovery of Roman remains found in the local area.